Friday, April 8, 2011

Movies of 2010 I dig...

This is a list I compiled at the tail end of 2010, there may be some movies I'd change or move around a little on this list now that it is 2011, but that would defeat the purpose of what I saw in 2010...

1. Inception
Christopher Nolan created a film that is so completely rounded and beautifully complex that I believe we won't even truly understand it's brilliance until we have a couple years to digest it...and dream about it.  To me this is the most visually stunning and mentally explosive film I've seen since Blade Runner.  It is the simplest idea for a film coated in the complex world of dreams, espionage and adventure...and it is that simple idea (wanting to go home) that Nolan loads us into the barrel, and it is scenes like the "Hallway Fight" and intro to the film that blow us away.














2. The Fighter
This was the last addition to my list, but it is only inches behind Inception.  Maybe its because I have a brother that I look up too and also hope looks up to me that I was so emotionally hooked to this film.  Or perhaps it was the excellent acting from the entire ensemble.  Maybe it was because it was a true story unfolding before my eyes, or maybe it was because I watched Christian Bale unleash the greatest performance of my lifetime on the screen.  Very few actors, even the very good ones, play a character so well, transform so well, that we forget who they are entirely...this was the performance where I forgot I was watching Christian Bale, and instead watched him become someone else entirely.













3. The Social Network
Never has a movie been released at such a perfect time as The Social Network was released.  David Fincher perfectly directs the mappings of the greatest technological and social networking achievement of the 21st century, with tragedy, drama, and realism...and it's even crazier to think that I'm writing this blog on Zukerburg's very own creation.

















4. The Town
Ben Affleck gets a bad rap for some reason...Pearl Harbor?  Reindeer Games?...I mean we gotta give the guy a break.  He first showed his directing chops in Gone Baby Gone, and only enhanced them with The Town.  Taking ques from the greatest of bank heist movies, Affleck directs and stars in the best bank heist film since the greatest of all great heist films...Heat.

















5. You Don't Know Jack
Al Pacino LIIIIGHTS THE SMALL SCREEN ABLAZE!!!!!  HOOOOOAH!...all of this being said in the best Al Pacino impression possible.  Easily his best performance in years, as well as a very fascinating film that brought a lot to my attention that I never knew in the first place, or had some warped idea about.  Think of that, a movie that teaches you something!

















6. Let Me In
Best. Horror. Movie. Of. The. Decade.





















7.City Island
This is totally thanks to Mick.  He told me about this film, and it didn't disappoint at all.  This to me was one of the funniest, smartest (Frasier funny/smart) films of the year, with a very strong beating heart.  The entire cast was equal parts funny and tragic, and Andy Garcia put himself back on the map for me.

















8. The Kids Are Alright
I'm still not entirely sure about the ending, but I got the subtle hint.  Mark Ruffalo didn't get enough credit in this film, he stole the show for me, as well as Mia Wasikowska (my newest crush), who was so sweet and innocent (but very strong) preparing for her first year away from home, that at one point in the movie the worst insult she can come up with is "phony" and its one of the most endearing moments in the film.
















9.I'm Still Here
This is the most insane movie I've ever seen.  And yes it is fake, and yes in a perfect world Phoenix would get nominated for an Oscar.  The amount of time and effort he put into fooling (yes we were fooled, for at least a bit...) everyone was/is staggering.  There are parts in this movie were I was crying from laughing, and on the verge of crying because I was witnessing (what I thought) was a suicidal meltdown...even if it was fake...its still a performance that is full of emotion and grit.  I forgot I was watching Joaquin Phoenix "play" Joaquin Phoenix...trippy.














10.Toy Story 3
This was the end of my childhood wrapped in a bow and put on screen.  After 15 years one of the greatest trilogies comes to a close.  This film had more depth and character development then most live action films had this year.  It dealt with abandonment, death, loss, love, age, purpose and friendship better then any movie this year, and it was a complete joy watching this amazing ride and childhood come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment