Sunday, April 10, 2011

Movies I dig...

I'm not exactly sure the first time I saw E.T. was...It was at least when I was 5 or 6 years old, and even at that age it left a mark on me, a powerful one.  Now almost 20 years later I watched the film as an adult and I'm pretty sure I cried more then when I was a kid.

You see, as I've gotten older I've started to mold my life into the way I want to see things for the remainder of it.  What I mean is, I've realized what is important in my life and what I see as something worth pursuing and meaningful to me, and one of those very important things is the power of creativity and imagination.  And watching E.T. as a 24 year old the magic of the imagination and the human spirit are alive and well.  Seeing the connection that this far away creature creates with a little boy in a matter of days is still inspiring and beautiful, and always will be.

The scene where Elliott and E.T. take their first ride in the sky was such an emotional experience for me.  It is a moment of pure imagination and magic.  It is hard to explain what exactly this scene means to me as a fan of movies, but I know it is a special moment that doesn't happen very often.  Everything about their relationship and innocence is something that we could all learn to appreciate a little more.


That is the power of movies, the power of a connection with someone, and the power of imagination.

Maybe it is because I'm older that now I seem to understand more of themes this movie has to offer and maybe it is because of some of the experiences and friends I've made in those 20 years that it hits me so hard.  The film to me still has one of the greatest goodbyes in movie history, and it isn't even their parting words that Elliott an E.T. give each other, it is the look and the embrace they share that is truly beautiful and real.


Just like E.T. tells Elliott that he'll "be...right...here.", this movie too will always be right here with me.

Grade - A+

No comments:

Post a Comment